British Speedway Forum

NEW LEAGUE FOR YOUNGSTERS

A BRAND-NEW Under 15 League will be launched next season.

Detailed plans of the way the new set-up will operate will be revealed to promoters soon and it will include a series of radical and revolutionary ideas.

British Under-21 manager Peter Oakes (pictured) said: “We have lagged behind other countries over the year in providing facilities for youngsters and I think that has been reflected in our lack of success internationally.”

http://www.british-speedway.co.uk/

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham Reeve started the Under-15's competitions with the internationals against the German lads in 2001, then Peter Oakes started the U-15 Championship last year, and now an U-15 league (no complicated rules please, keep it simple!)

Brilliant, and congratulations to everyone involved in this.

You see, BSPA, you CAN get things right when you've got the right people involved!

Hopefully all U-15 licenced riders will have been sent information by the BSPA :rolleyes:

I think I read in the Speedway Star last wee kthat riders had to express an interest to Peter Oakes. I would urge all riders to get in touch with him. Competive riding will bring riders on so much quicker than practicing on their own and presumably this isn't going to be track time they have to pay for. A win-win scenario if ever there was one.

Edited by Scunny Stag

You can't charge to watch kids racing, don't really know why but it's the same in all motor sports.

because if you charge to watch riders racing, it becomes a professional concern, and the riders will have to be paid... that then becomes illegal as they are still of school age and effectively means you are employing a minor to entertain a crowd.

No Doubt you will see U15 matches after main league matches... pretty much like what happened this year at most "second team" clubs where the CL match was part of a double header.

A good way forward for the sport... but lets hope the BSPA don't just leave it to get on with itself... back it... as part of the whole sport. back it with workshops, to teach the up and coming riders the maintenace of the bike, the safety of the sport, and the commercial side of the sport, how to get those sponsors interested, make it the school of speedway, and the rewards of a team place... back the clubs that want to do this.. don't just let them fend for themselves..give them the support of a professional body.

sorry.. ranting on aint i !!

That can't be quite right as they are able to pay 15 year olds (who are still at school) to ride in the Conference, must be something to with being adults & kids combined as against kids alone. I know in MX they aren't allowed to charge entry for a kids meeting but they are if it is predominantly adult with some kids races. There are also things like child actors being paid so presumably it must be legal to pay kids.

I would imagine that last years U15 Championship provided a lot more entertainment than expected so the BSPA will be a bit more likely to get behind the kids now. As for the rest the theory is great but getting the time to attend such things is difficult and expensive, just the racing is hard to fit in. Generally all the advice that they need is available once they are in the pits with experienced riders.

That was a Championship for individual prestege, surely if you're racing in sa league for a club, you should get something as it's the club that gain from it, not the rider. Is 10p (or however stupid it is) a mile really too much to consider paying? How about, if rider cannot be paid, they get a "free" tyre?