British Speedway Forum

Hans Andersen

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gollob and Andersen were on a hiding to nothing in Heat 25. GB lost the meeting earlier and would not have even been in the position they were but for some very dubious refereeing decisions. The Silver medal is a tremendous achievement and I'm sorry, the best team won.

Yawn, yawn, this same set of anti-GB comments has been peddled on about 5 different threads now by FR. Its been ignored every time - the people who were there and who watched on TV have overwhelmingly come to the same broad conclusion:-

1) Super Event

2) Super Fans

3) GB dominated from heat 3 on and lost it in the final two heats off a dead gate

4) Sweden were great and deserved to win

5) Andersen made a complete idiot of himself

6) The refereeing wasn't great but that and the luck are part of sport and together probably evened themselves out over the night

7) ALL THE GB TEAM AND MANAGEMENT WERE HEROES WHO DID EVERY ONE OF US PROUD

Can't accept that ? - well, there's always the exception that proves the rule.

Guest Blacksmith
why is it that when the brits win they are heros and when they lose the other teams are cheats???????. face it the brits put up a good fight but just not good enough. no wonder the brits are not respected in sporting circles :(:wink::wink::(:(

I think you have mixed up England with the Brits, even though the team was called Team GB, the commentators, riders, management and supporters constantly refered to them as England.

B) If anyone thinks I'm going to miss my Thursday night out at Ipswich because of this incident they have another think coming.

Hans Andersen was ever only at Foxhall for one season. There is little or no possibility of him being replaced for the rest of this one. As has already been stated there are no grade 4 riders available.

I have never subscribed the the "ifs and buts" or "shouda, wouda" school of thought. The plain fact is England did not score enough points before the last heat to ensure that this type of incident did'nt arise.

If Andersen helped his Swedish team mate then it may have been morally wrong but the ref. was English and had it been against the rules he needed to take action.

Had he helped his English team mate would anyone be complaining.

Well done Sweden and well battled England. :rolleyes:

Prehaps the answer is for the BSPA to ban him and for Ipswich to be allowed the use of guests while they look for a replacement, it's unfair to say they can have a 5 pointer if they lose a point elsewhere as that means sacking on of Louis or Jensen who have done well and increased there averages so Ipswich would be weakening there potentionally league winning team to a team that would struggle to win at home. The only way around it as far as I cna see is to let them sign Billy Hamill (Hamills 2003 average is marginally lower than Hans' 2004 average AFAIK) so it's a like for like change

I'm not sure that this is any responsibility of the BSPA - more like the FIM

but supposing they are big and tough enough to make the decision (and lets not forget Hans did this at a crucial point of their celebrations) it would cause a problem for Ipswich which i'm sure as you have mentioned would provide a good enough case for a 'peterborough' moment. If it didn't though - thems the breaks - everything we wouldn't want but everything you would expect in any other sport.

Supposing he was caught for titanium or an oversized engine he would suffer a ban - simple as that - I don't see how this is any different

Untill I got back from the meeting last night and came on the internet, I hadn't realised that anything untoward had happened it heat 25...and I was watching it closely, I also had someone else say to me that when they saw it first time around it looked ok, but on the replay it looked a bit dodgy,from what we say, Scotty was 3rd out of the gate and didn't look to have the same speed. On the form PK was in last night, I don't think anything Hans did would have made any difference, and I am not saying this as an Ippo fan, just from what we could see at the track and by the performances we saw (and please don't have a go, I'm tired,hot and aching and in no mood for it) and to suggest we boycott meetings at Ippo is just laughable, why punish the rest of the team for the alledged crimes of one other person. I will be there on Thursday as usual shouting on my team and woe betide anyone who tries telling me I can't or shouldn't.

Edited by crazysue

The issue isn't whether Scott would have beaten PK.

We'll never know. Although I would accept the odds were against.

It's whether it was a fair race and whether Andersen committed the worst offence of all, taking a bribe to throw a race.

Sam and Chris Louis know what to look for and they thought ....

If the FIM wont investigate and give us justice and integrity, should British fans ensure justice is done?

The mere threat of a boycott to start at a future date eg 1st September, should be enough. The BSPA could ensure Ipswich don't lose out covering his place.

I think the odds were stacked against Scott beating PK based on the gates and the difference in engine performance but........Hans did do what he did, perhaps if he was more clever he would have worked out those odds before the race

For a sport that relies on riders being honest and making an effort on the track at all times (including 1 and 2 man races) there aren't many disciplines handed out and this surely isn't because they are all angels - the evidence is clear as crystal in this case and something should be done at a high level

:) I agree , Sue.... bit of a strom in a teacup. Don't forget the Adopt a Witch at half time when we hope to give Daniel another donation. :) I think Kevin wants us to meet up at pitgate just after heat 8.

For a sport that relies on riders being honest and making an effort on the track at all times

splatty there are just two words to say in reply to the above

DINGLY DANGLIES

Simplistic I know but when the authorities tacitly allow riders to "throw" races within the rules, and they do let's face it, the same authorities really don't have a leg to stand on when a rider does it in any other meeting.

Please note I am not saying Andersen did or did not throw that race.

splatty there are just two words to say in reply to the above

DINGLY DANGLIES

Simplistic I know but when the authorities tacitly allow riders to "throw" races within the rules, and they do let's face it, the same authorities really don't have a leg to stand on when a rider does it in any other meeting.

yep you do have a point there but at least they have made a stand this season on this point and reinforced that losing on purpose won't be tolerated

nuff said...

if Nicholls had beaten PK we wouldn't be seeing all this drivel

why is it drivel Steve? Are you happy to see riders doing what Hans did?

I think on the whole you could be right there - 90% of the posts wouldn't be happening, but count how many there are about Mr Bates - I think there are a large contingent in here who are fans of speedway first and foremost

why is it that when the brits win they are heros and when they lose the other teams are cheats???????. face it the brits put up a good fight but just not good enough. no wonder the brits are not respected in sporting circles :(  :wink:  :wink:  :(  :(

I think you have mixed up England with the Brits, even though the team was called Team GB, the commentators, riders, management and supporters constantly refered to them as England.

Myself and loads of others around us never referred to the team as England, only as Team GB or Great Britain, so please don't tar us all with the same brush.

Edited by crazysue

Think all Brits should ban Danish bacon Tomorrow .

and restock the shelves with good old British Sour Grapes :rolleyes:

Sounding like a record stuck in the same groove Mr Hone.I think the vast majority of fans have taken it very well.Most supporting the effort of the team and management as well as being gracious to the winners.And that is comming from a neutral fan as i wouldn`t support any team called Britain.England yes,but anything else no thanks ;)

Sounding like a record stuck in the same groove Mr Hone.I think the vast majority of fans have taken it very well.

Taken it well.....LOL. Must be up for understatement of the day that one Iris :lol: or have I misread the copious amounts of posts blaming others for TEAM GB's failings?

Edited by shooting star

Sounding like a record stuck in the same groove Mr Hone.I think the vast majority of fans have taken it very well.

Taken it well.....LOL. Must be up for understatement of the day that one Iris :lol: or have I misread the copious amounts of posts blaming others for TEAM GB's failings?

Well the copious amount of postings might be from a few fans repeating themselves rather like S.Hone and his sour grape postings ;)

Well the copious amount of postings might be from a few fans repeating themselves rather like S.Hone and his sour grape postings ;)

Oh well I hold my hands up, I told him to say that, because you see Iris, I do have this strange hold over Steve at the moment :P