British Speedway Forum

Gote Nordin

Guest Fron Goch

Guest Fron Goch

Talk of Alby took me back to my first speedway meetings. My brother and I were both bought rosettes I had Jacky Biggs, who I know has sadly died, but what ever became of Gote Nordin - only spent a few years over here but Mr Clean of his day? Amazing to watch, somersaulted over the fence to land on his feet the other side of the Somerton Road was spectacular - can't remember when or against who but it was a huge "WOW" at the time. Anyone know what's happened since?

Guest Fron Goch

Yeh, Gote and Bob! Can't remember what Bob's average was in 66 767 must have been damned good! Must dig out the ole 1966/67 Speedway Stars and have a look if they're retrievable....anyone intersted in buying them if the moth's haven't eaten them all? Husband is getting a bit fed up of my clutter..........

Gote was at the Barry Briggs Golden Greats-type meeting at Poole 3 or 4 years ago.

One of my all time favourites, the guy rode a speedway bike like he was sitting in an armchair. Gote had STYLE.

Where we used to stand Nordin was known as "Nursemaid" because that guy could nurse anyone around a track. I agree completly TwoMinute Gote was a very stylish rider - don't suppose anyone has any cine film from those days do they? Would dearly love to show my daughters just what we raved about then :)

Yes, Louise, Nursemaid is a great name for him.

I remember seeing Gote, who was quite tall, in a race against a small rider - may even have been Peter Craven. To watch Gote, tall but relaxed in the saddle, seeming not to have a care in the world, gliding around the white line, apparently without effort ... and to watch the small rider, crouched low on his machine, head looking out from behind the handlebars, riding mid-track and wrestling with his machine to find the dirt line ... a magnificent battle, two completely different styles and yet, each so exciting to watch. The comparison between the two thrilled me so much, in my first full year of watching speedway, that I think it was at that moment that I became hooked on our sport.

Thanks Gote.

Must dig out the ole 1966/67 Speedway Stars and have a look if they're retrievable....anyone intersted in buying them if the moth's haven't eaten them all?

I could well be FG - email me what you've got and we'll take it from there.

And Bob Hughes - there's another name which brings back fond memories of Canterbury! :approve:

Yeh, Gote and Bob! Can't remember what Bob's average was in 66 767 must have been damned good! Must dig out the ole 1966/67 Speedway Stars and have a look if they're retrievable....anyone intersted in buying them if the moth's haven't eaten them all? Husband is getting a bit fed up of my clutter..........

Gote Nordin BL Ave 1966 10.438 pts 367 BP 14 Max F 10 P3

1st rider to win the silver sash away from home! beat C Pratt Hackney 1st April 66

Bob Hughes BL Ave 1966 4.748 pts 152 BP 13 Max F 2 P0

BL Ave 1967 4.759 pts 60 BP 9 Max 0

Edited by Custom House Kid

1st rider to win the silver sash away from home! beat C Pratt Hackney 1st April 66

I've got to assume you can't remember Bob's average either then CHK. :wink::D

I've got to assume you can't remember Bob's average either then CHK. :wink::D

I have a great memory :wink: See revised post!

In the early 60s when the sport was dominated by the 'Big 5' of Fundin, Craven, Briggs, Moore and Knutson, they were put on a 20 yard handicap to give the other riders a chance. In 1964, there was a proposal that Gote Nordin should also be put on a 20 yard handicap as he was now their equal (well, the three that were left by then - Fundin, Briggs & Knutson). It never came to anything in the end because the 'Big 3' refused to go on with the handicapping system and it was abolished. However, it shows the stature of Nordin at the time that he was reckoned the equal of the likes of Fundin and Briggs.

He was a great rider. I remember him well, and, like everyone says, so classy and stylish with it.

Wembley lions signed Gote for a few meetings in 1971 to cover injuries & I remember seeing him then.

Was surprised at his easy looking style & how he seemed unhurried by anything, but boy could he ride & score heavily.

He was also a gentleman & didn't seem to have any enemies. Bit different to some of todays stars (no mention of GB v Denmark!!)

• 2 weeks later...

A gentleman he may have been, but Gote was one of the hardest riders around when he rode for Wembley. When he went for the white line, woe betide anyone ese who fancied being there!

I also have one memory of him as a visitor to Old Meadowbank. He was driving a large Mercedes with a very loud horn that played "Colonel Bogey"!