Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

iris123

Members
  • Posts

    43,710
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    336

Everything posted by iris123

  1. Bit of Danish action from yesterday. Brovst summer challenge
  2. Looking at cases it does seem they are having another peak. Although it seems to be happening in other places too as tourists come and go etc. We are getting a rise again here as people come from or back from other areas. It is only small atm but they are talking of testing people at the airport from certain destinations like Turkey. France I think are talking of closing their border with Spain again. I do hope we are not on the way back to stricter lockdown
  3. See the Czech football league has finished early after only restarting on May 25, due to a Covid outbreak !!! Will this have any influence on other sport in the country I wonder https://www.web24.news/u/2020/07/the-czech-championship-finally-stopped-because-of-the-coronavirus.html
  4. Nah. He’d get my vote just for giving me a lift in Pardubice down to the steakhouse That crazy couple sitting behind that had a fight !!!
  5. He has been suffering for over 10 years with whatever he has then
  6. But isn't another important difference that the drivers do it as a hobby rather than employment. Whereas speedway riders don't, in the main
  7. Here is a clip( 8:45 s) of Pajari falling (getting knocked off ) in a world championship quali in Abensberg 1957 won by Hofmeister of Germany, though they say he is Austrian in the clip.Getting him and Seidl mixed up https://www.filmothek.bundesarchiv.de/video/586279?q=Speedway
  8. Isn’t there an expanded feature in the Star?
  9. Always looking for the new kid on the block. Plus there was a bit of the exotic crowd puller to it. Even as late as the 80s I remember all the hype abround Sergei Baltacha, when he became the first Soviet football player in England. I even went to his debut game......... The Polish riders and the first of the Americans(Keeter and Bast) I think caused a little sensation, just as the USSR touring team did
  10. Is there any evidence at all the the cars have done any lobbying ? Or have they got through a loophole because of the strange nature of the ‘sport’ ?
  11. That'll go without comment from old Addio though
  12. Some sad photos on Fb today of Polonia Pila's track in a sorry state and seemed to be asking speedway fans to rally round and help the club
  13. Of course it is the government at least mainly to blame. And look at other countries with other governments to see it can be different
  14. Good post. More realistic than the speedway museum link, which is as ever, a bit dodgy
  15. My take on things is the government allowed grass roots sport so that people could go about keeping fit and not many people turn up to watch that. Normally like you, just parents. That is imo totally different to actually allowing sports with crowds. But they have said they will allow a few test sports and then from October start opening up. Of course if things go wrong then you can bet that October date will be pushed back......
  16. Yes, I know that. I did report elsewhere that the lower leagues had started. And yes, I have attended Div 1 in both 500 and 80 cc formats. And as far as I heard no fans are allowed in, so far
  17. And in Denmark they haven't started their season and are still waiting to see if they even will.....
  18. After the problems in Poland and the government delaying, it was the only sensible decision to make.....
  19. There you go again. Going right ott. Ok, I was right. said it for a while. Was right ages ago on the other thread when some guy was saying it would be ok to go into a full stadium, as you might only infect one other person etc. The thing is though, this is a discussion forum and we share our opinions. It's not about letting people jut talk a load of rubbish without being challenged on their opinions. Ok, I know you don't like being challenged, but I hope you won't go loopy just this once...........nobody, as far as I have seen on this forum has said 'who cares what damage this will do....' Nobody has. But you can't just shut your eyes to the reality of the situation. We could see where it was all heading and as I said ages ago, sport is just a small cog in society, and speedway is an incredibly small part of that. It doesn't make me happy to be right, and that it might damage somebodies business or pleasure. But it was the way things were heading ages ago. It doesn't make me overly happy when I challenged Phil Rising, who said we could start up in May or June etc The fact is the country has panicked. The government have headed down a path, and it might well be proved a wrong one. But don't beat yourself up just because you were wrong again. I am sure those of us who were right don't really give a damn
  20. More chance of an Argentinian with Castagna and the mooted GP
  21. It can be a lot safer I guess, just depends on how it is organised. Just heard they are going to do a trial indoor concert in Germany. Not sure who, but they will do 4 ,30 minute performances, with different ways to get in and out and how it will all be organised. Then it will all be analysed by computer to see which method is safer......
  22. The problem is that we do not yet know whether the corona restrictions we are subject to until 31 August will also apply after 1 September. The government will not announce this until August, but we have to make a decision before then, says Jacob Olsen to TV SYD. A game of Russian roulette Jacob Olsen bought Vojens Speedway Center a year and a half ago from his father - the four-time individual world champion in speedway, Ole Olsen - who founded the track in 1975. Until the turn of the millennium, the course was in Vojens Denmark's national course, and this is the status that the new owner of the center has ambitions to recreate. The goal is for Vojens to once again be a center for world-class speedway and for the development of Danish talents for the sport. But the uncertainty about how many spectators he can lock into the stands when the Grand Prix is scheduled to run on September 12 makes the decision as to whether it should be settled at all a bit of a game of Russian roulette. A wrong decision can threaten the centre's existence, Jacob Olsen admits The current corona restrictions mean that a maximum of 500 spectators may be allowed in the stands. Last year, the event gathered 15,000 people, as Vojens, for the first time in almost two decades, was once again able to add slag to the running of the Grand Prix, which is the Danish division of the world championships. But Jacob Olsen does not believe that all restrictions will be lifted when we reach 31 August. The question is whether the government sticks to an upper limit on assemblies of 500 people - or whether the limit is raised, and if so, how close people are allowed to stand in the stands.This is crucial for the finances of the project, says Jacob Olsen. Great uncertainty As the Grand Prix will take place in September, Jacob Olsen is excluded from seeking financial assistance in the aid packages that have been in force over the summer. They expire along with the current coronary restrictions on August 31st Thus, Vojens Speedway Center risks being left with the whole bill if not enough spectators can be admitted to the grand prix. - We are "outside the category", because the event is in September, and these are some things that have helped to frustrate me in this whole situation, says Jacob Olsen. Jacob Olsen has together with Member of Parliament for the Liberal Party, Hans Chr. Schmidt, held a meeting with Minister of Trade and Industry Simon Kollerup (Social Democrats), hoping to gain an understanding of the challenges of speedway sports. However, he has not been able to get an answer on how many spectators he can expect to be allowed to close in September. - There are no opportunities with standing places, as it is now, and we all know that the assembly ban is 500 people. On those terms, we can not arrange a grand prix, where we had 15,000 people last year. So there are some challenges, to be honest. - We can not wind up if it will cost the survival of my company, and then we have to pull the plug, because we do not have the same facilities as the super league in football with spectator seats, where people can sit down, says Jacob Olsen. Jacob Olsen expects that during the coming week he will make the final decision on whether the Grand Prix will be run or not, together with the rights holders of the Grand Prix series in England and FIM - the International Motorcycle Federation. - I hope and continue to fight. We have sold tickets for the event, and I think I owe it to our guests and loyal fans that it can succeed, says Jacob Olsen. https://www.tvsyd.dk/haderslev/grand-prix-kan-koste-speedwaycenter-livet Guess that is why nothing has been decided with the league as well. 500 people
  23. Good advice, just like eating healthy or not drinking too much alcohol or smoking cigarettes is good advice. But a large % of the population ignore it and the health system has to cope with the consequences
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy