British Speedway Forum

Peter Craven/grand Opening

One thing for sure, Poole will never be regarded in the same way as Belle-Vue, they will be remembered for something different altogether.

May tonight's meeting be a huge success, with much more to come.

So how's that working out for you BritPete?

I can't believe this has happened tonight, can we assume that no one has put in any serious laps on the track before tonight? If that's the case then it really is a shambles. I'm not one for slagging of anything speedway but the sport really does not help itself sometimes.

Unfortunately, you are right.

I think there will need to be a bit more than appologies here. Fans have travelled a long way and spent a hell of a lot of money.

• Like 4

I think there will need to be a bit more than appologies here. Fans have travelled a long way and spent a hell of a lot of money.

I wonder if any fan is a solicitor, as cancellation possibly down to incompetence and not something unforeseen.

I wonder if any fan is a solicitor, as cancellation possibly down to incompetence and not something unforeseen.

Many of the riders present tonight can stand it. Many of the fans who travelled all over the country cannot. I would suggest they keep every reciept and entry ticket. Somebody has to take the can for this. And appart from the track curator whoever he is, the buck stops with the promotion.

To quote someone else on Twitter tonight. He most believeable unbelievable thing ever.

Gutted for everyone - except those idiots who allowed this to happen. Ruined all the good work they had done, they'd almost been in a position to shove two fingers up at the doubters. Then at the final hurdle hey have ruined everything. What a crying shame.

I fell sorry for the organisers , they have been let down by the riders , 16 national league boys would just have got on with it and made the best of it , apparently there was a meeting and a riders vote , I would like to know the names of those who refused to ride , they have let british speedway down , not that the likes of Woffinden and pedersen care about British speedway

• Like 1

I fell sorry for the organisers , they have been let down by the riders , 16 national league boys would just have got on with it and made the best of it , apparently there was a meeting and a riders vote , I would like to know the names of those who refused to ride , they have let british speedway down , not that the likes of Woffinden and pedersen care about British speedway

Its rare I side with the promotion against the riders, but I think you are right (albeit solely based upon what Chris Harris has said).

When Newcastle opened up in the late 1990's, they used ash waste as a track surface. It immediately began to break up at the opening meeting, and the riders were reluctant to ride.

The late Ian Thomas pointed out that there was a huge crowd, it was an opening meeting and that they should go out and do their best without taking any risks at all.

They did, and the meeting was run.

While it doesn't excuse the fact that the track should have been ready, if the surface was rideable the meeting should have gone ahead.

Shame on those - and I'd like to know who they were, too- who refused to give it a go.

• Like 6